Backyard Burning and Bonfires
Galway County Council wish to advise householders, and commercial outlets that it is illegal to burn any waste in an uncontrolled environment.
This includes activities such as:
- Burning waste in a bonfire;
- Burning waste in a barrel or exposed pile in the yard, garden or any land;
- Burning in a "home incinerator" purchased from a DIY centre;
- Burning of waste in an open fire, range or other solid fuel appliance;
- Burning of commercial waste;
- Burning of waste on building sites.
Update November 2023
The practice of burning agricultural green waste will no longer be permitted after the 30th of November 2023. Farmers must use alternative sustainable management practices for agricultural green waste after this date.
If you have any queries in relation to burning waste in Co. Galway contact the Environment Section, Galway County Council at 091-509510 or email@example.com.